Paris is reputed as the city for lovers par excellence, and for good reason. There seems to be built-in romance everywhere you turn, from poetic parks and gardens to breathtaking panoramas and world-class restaurants-- making a romance-laced Paris vacation ideal for many couples. Coming to Paris on or around Valentine's Day can be truly idyllic, but no matter when you come for a jaunt in the city of light, making a special time of it is easy. With so many romantic Paris attractions to choose from, your only problem will be deciding where to start.
- Climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower for breathtaking views. You can also have a romantic dinner at one of the tower's restaurants.
- Wonderful views can be had from the Sacre-Coeur viewpoint area in Montmartre. Take the funicular up for a unique experience.
- The Centre Georges Pompidou has a rooftop terrace and restaurant, Chez Georges, that affords gorgeous views of Paris' main landmarks. Access is free with a museum ticket.
Renowned for its excellent performing arts, Paris is the place for a romantic night of music or theater. If you're both learning French, what could be more stimulating than seeing a play in French and then decrypting it together afterward? For non-French speakers, not to worry-- many shows require only a love for the arts.
- La Comédie Française (for period-costumed classics like Molière)
- Theatre du Chatelet (varied program)
- More on Paris theater
Cabaret Shows and Concerts:
What could be more idyllic than floating down the Seine, hand in hand with someone special? Paris boat tours are a fantastic way to see the city in a relaxed, picturesque light, and a great pretext for cozying up. For something more unusual, try taking a tour of Paris canals and underground waterways.
For lovers who share a passion for great movies, Paris is a great place to spend an evening at an old movie. The city of light is a cinephile's dream and has lots of fantastic places for celluloid, so try one of Paris' best movie theaters before or after dinner. Something about these charming theaters evokes a kind of old-school romance that's hard to come by these days.
In the summer, open-air screenings of classic and contemporary films at the Parc de la Villette can be a great excuse for cuddling up on a blanket under the stars.
Paris is packed with elegant parks and gardens, where lazy ambling and cuddling is always romantic. Match these fabulous green spots to your desired ambiance:
Classical and formal:
- Parc Montsouris
- Parc de Vincennes (Paris outskirts-- summer jazz shows)
- Bois de Boulogne (Paris outskirts)
- Parc Andre Citroen
- Parc de la Villette
- Promenade Plantee (gardens built above ground on defunct railway)
- Jardin des Plantes (botanical garden and zoo)