Directions:Get off at Metro Pont-Marie (line 7), or by exiting at Metro Hôtel de Ville (lines 1 or 11) and walking East up Quai de Hôtel de Ville until you reach Metro Pont-Marie. Turn left on Rue des Nonnains des Hyères. Immediately to your right, you should see the majestic Hôtel de Sens.
The ResidenceStop here for a moment to admire this medieval residence's elegant formal gardens and dramatic design. On a sunny day, sitting on one of the garden benches to contemplate is a real treat.
- Built between 1475 and 1519, the medieval residence originally housed the archbishops of Sens, the order of bishops that Paris belonged to during the middle ages.
- The mixed architectural styles visible in the Hôtel de Sens show the transition that occured between medieval and Renaissance styles over the course of the hôtel's construction.
- Henri IV's ex-wife, Queen Margot, took up residence in 1605. Known for her eccentricity and lavish tastes, Queen Margot pursued many love affairs here. She is even rumored to have collected the hair of her lovers to fashion wigs from them.
Walk through the garden area and turn right around the building to see the main facade of the residence.
- The main facade shows medieval-style turrets and windows and a keep characteristic of fortresses. The arched entryway leads into a courtyard.
- Today, the residence houses an arts library.