Taking a tour of Paris by boat is unparalleled as romantic experiences go. The city seems to be fanned out before you as you lazily drift down the Seine River or Paris' miles-long network of canals.
By taking one of these popular tours, you can get a glimpse of some of the city's most mythical spots, enjoy a romantic dinner amid the soft glow of light on the water, or just sit back and revel in the fresh air and delicious floating in a scenic setting.
When is the best time to take a tour?The best time is generally May through mid-September, when skies tend to be clearer and temperatures in Paris are generally warm. Fall and winter tours are still worthwhile, but keep in mind that wind from off the water and frequent rain can make sitting on the open-air deck less than desirable.
Classic Paris: Boat Tours of the Seine River
Ah, the Seine river. No other river in the world has been the subject of such poetic fussing, frantic picture-taking, and all-around adulation.
Touring Paris via the Seine river is a great way to get familiar with many of the city's most stunning monuments, historical buildings, and ornate bridges, including:
- Notre Dame Cathedral
- Eiffel Tower
- Musee du Louvre
- Musee d'Orsay
- Assemblée Nationale (The National Assembly building)
- Hotel des Invalides
- Pont Neuf (Paris' oldest bridge, dating to the 16th century)
- Pont Alexandre III (Art Nouveau bridge dating to 1896)
- Grand Palais (Belle Epoque building housing National Galleries)
Choosing a Tour of the SeineSeveral companies offer day and evening tours throughout the year. Before choosing a tour, decide whether you would prefer a narrated tour that focuses on Paris history and sights, have lunch or dinner, or even enjoy a show. Finding a tour that fits your budget shouldn't be a problem, either.
- Bateaux Mouches is perhaps the city's most famous boat tour company and is easily recognizable by its enormous decks and bright orange seats. Bateaux Mouches has a fleet of nine boats, some of which offer lunch and dinner service. Read our full article on the tour here.
Bateaux Parisiens is another well-known Paris boat tour company offering narrated tours and fine dining. I recommend the dinner cruise for a relaxing, enchanted evening of soft lights, live music, and a three-course meal.
(Buy tickets direct via Isango - includes minivan transfers.)
More Recommended Seine River Tours and Packages:
- Paris Night Tour - Skip the Line Eiffel Tower, Seine Cruise and City Illuminations: (Book Tickets Direct at Isango)
- For special occasions and unforgettable romantic evenings, consider booking an Eiffel Tower dinner, Seine boat cruise, & Lido cabaret show package: (Book direct at Isango)
- Looking for a more active kind of tour? Try a combined night bike tour of Paris and Seine river cruise: (Book package direct at Isango)