Planning to visit Paris in June? If you want to see the city at its most bustling and cheerful, June is an ideal month to book your trip, and perhaps one of the better times for summer travel to Paris. Tourist season is reaching its peak and Paris puts on its best face as the top urban tourist destination, perhaps living up to its reputation as an open-air museum. If the prospect of encountering Paris in its tour brochure guise appeals to you and crowds don't irk you, Paris in June is for you. If, however, you tend toward claustrophobia, are looking to see Paris from a more local perspective, or want to avoid paying exorbitant prices for plane tickets or hotels, steer away from high season and wait until the fall or winter.
Why to Love Paris in June:
June usually brings on a laid-back, yet stimulating, mood in Paris. People are out and about, roaming the picturesque streets at a pace that looks languid to most North Americans, or nursing drinks on sunny terraces. June hosts several annual festivals worth attending, and when the weather permits, browsing Paris' often artistic shop windows in the city's best shopping districts can be memorable.
June in Paris is also an ideal time for exploring the city with someone special, so be sure to check out our guide to the top romantic things to do in Paris.
A Few Highlights (June 2013):
- Through June 5th: The 2013 French Open at Roland Garros-- Tennis fans should not miss one of France's most exciting and important tournaments. Tennis greats like Steffi Graf made their debuts at Roland Garros, and the French Open continues to host some of the world's unforgettable matches.
- June 21st: The annual Fête de la Musique (Paris Street Music Festival turns the streets, bars, and cafes of Paris into an unforgettable (and free) celebration of all musical genres.
- June 29th: The LGBT Pride Parade (Paris Gay Pride) takes the streets of the city of light by storm, and everyone's invited to the party. One of the year's most popular festivals for locals and visitors of all stripes, this year's festival kicks off at Metro Montparnasse Bienvenue (find more practical information on Paris Gay Pride here)
The June Thermometer
- Minimum temperature: 13 degrees C ( 55.4 degrees F)
- Maximum temperature: 22 degrees C ( 71.6 degrees F)
- Average temperature: 17 degrees C (62.6 degrees F)
- Average rainfall: 56 millimeters (2.2 inches)
How to Pack for a Trip to Paris in June
- June in Paris generally has both brisk and hot days, with average temperatures at around 62 degrees F. Pack clothes that you can layer in case an unusually cool or hot day sneaks up on you. Bring light cotton clothes for sunny days, but also pack warm socks and a light windbreaker.
- June is one of the rainiest seasons of the month, and sudden thunderstorms are common. Pack a reliable umbrella in case one of these surprises you during a stroll or picnic.
- Bring both closed-toed and open-toed shoes.. On hot days or excursions to the park you'll appreciate the open-toed pair, but you'll need a good, comfortable pair of walking shoes too, especially since visits to Paris usually involve lots of walking.
- Think about packing a hat or visor and other sun gear for sunny days when you wish to spend time lazing in one of Paris' best parks and gardens.
Browse Travel Deals and Book Your TripVisit the Kayak Travel Center several months ahead to find a good deal on your June sojourn (book direct).
Readers Respond: When is your favorite time of the year to visit Paris?