It's that time again. The time when Paris resembles all of its most flattering cliches. A time when the city is suddenly awash with color: cherry and apple blossoms, daffodils, or everyday-variety, but still glorious, green shoots. The air may linger on the brisk side some days, and showers are definitely to be expected, but Paris in April is still worthy of the legendary songs and poems that pay tribute to it.
Locals are generally in good spirits, and you'll want to spend lots of time outside when it's not raining. April is a great time to explore a few beautiful Paris parks and gardens, soak up any available sun and warmth on a cafe terrace, or flâner-- amble in a dramatic, yet nonchalant, way-- in one of the city's charming neighborhoods. Paris in April is also perfect for enjoying romantic activities, so be sure to check out our guide to the top romantic things to do in Paris.
The April Thermometer
- Minimum temperature: 7 degrees C (44.6 degrees F)
- Maximum temperature: 15 degrees C (59 degrees F)
- Average temperature: 10 degrees C (50 degrees F)
- Average rainfall: 45 millimeters (1.78 inches)
How to Pack for a Trip to Paris in April
- As a general rule, April in Paris remains brisk, with temperatures at around 50 degrees F. You might want to pack clothes that you can layer in case an unusually cool or warm day sneaks up on you. Bring light cotton shirts and pants in case of sun, but also pack a few sweaters, warm socks, and a spring coat.
- April is usually a wet month, and Paris is well-known for its erratic and sudden downpours. So packing an umbrella that can withstand strong rain and wind is definitely a must.
- Make sure to pack a sturdy pair of waterproof shoes. Rain during an April trip to Paris is more than a possibility, and you don't want to ruin your excursions with sloshy shoes and cold, wet socks. Also be sure to bring along a pair of shoes that are comfortable to walk in-- Paris is a city where going by foot is often the best option.
- Think about packing a hat or visor and other sun gear for sunny days when you wish to spend time lazing in one of Paris' best parks and gardens.
Find Deals and Book Your Trip:Look for travel packages ahead of time and find deals for flights, hotels, and vacation packages in Paris at Kayak (book direct).
Related:Paris in the Spring
Readers Respond: When is your favorite time of the year to visit Paris?